Latest Reviews

martes, 23 de octubre de 2012

'Titanic' (James Cameron, 1997)


Title: 'Titanic'

Release Year: 1997

Director: James Cameron

Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Billy Zane, Frances Fisher, Gloria Stuard, Bill Paxton, Suzy Amis, Kathy Bates.

Plot: In the short-lived Titanic, a love story blossoms between the members of two social classes, fighting against the odds and the terrible disaster that awaits them.

Review: I have a problem with Titanic: once I start talking about it, I can't stop. I've seen the film like 10 times (complete) and once in a while I review some of my favourite scenes. The last time I saw the whole length was when I went to the cinema to watch the 3-D version (an absolute waste of money
-Moreover, I think that I'm unable to watch 3-D imagery...-) and I spent 2 weeks crying in my house, asking why Jack had to die. Yes, as it might be obvious, Titanic is my favourite movie.

Rose and Jack famous kissing scene

There is an important gap, though, between the first times I saw the film and the later ones. In the beginning I remember loving the film due to its tragic ending (I think I've missed the beginning of Titanic like 5 times when they showed it on TV), but I didn't especially pay much attention to the rest of the movie (or I don't remember it, I was quite young). The first time I saw it as a teenager, the situation changed; I loved EVERY SINGLE PART of the film. Not only did I cry like Mary Magdalane did when Jesus died, but I worshipped the relationship of Jack and Rose up to unimaginable points.

The dancing scene in a third class party is one of my favorite ones

The dancing scene is one of my favourites from their little adventure together (excluding the final, that's the favorite one above all), but I have tons and tons of videos, images and gifs collected and even deleted scenes (did you know that there's a second version to the ending? You can watch it here). My addiction to Titanic goes far beyond what's normal. But if I have the chance to excuse myself, the film is to blame for it; groundbreaking visual effect (early digital edition executed to perfection, which brought the budget of the movie to the then unthinkable $250 million), a marvelous score, led by the beautiful voice of Celine Dion singing 'My Heart Will Go On', the dramatic collision of the iceberg agains Titanic and the unfair death of Jack.


As Rose whispers 'Come Josephine', Jack dies in a heartbreaking scene. I still can remember her saying 'There's a boat Jack!' and not receiving any answer. One of the most remembered scenes together with the drowning and the 'You jump I jump' ones. Excuse the poor quality but every higher quality version has been deleted from YouTube due to copyright infringements

That final scene with Rose at the top of a floating door and Jack frozen in the water (both fit on top, but the weight would have drowned the fragile structure) is heartbreaking and it's followed by the 'A woman's heart is an ocean full of secrets' scene. After that moment, I was an ocean full of tears and Titanic became the best movie I had ever seen.

Tearful 'Titanic' ending

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

¡Recomienda este blog!