Latest Reviews

martes, 2 de octubre de 2012

'Cabaret' (Bob Fosse, 1972)


Title: 'Cabaret'

Release Year: 1972

Director: Bob Fosse

Cast: Liza Minelli, Michael York, Joel Grey, Fritz Wepper, Helmut Griem, Marisa Berenson.

Plot: Berlin (Germany), 1930s. As the Nazi party rises, the music and the night fuse in the Kit Kat Club. In the middle of the caos, Sally Bowles and Michael York find themselves in an odd love story.

Review: 'Cabaret' has inspired me mixed feeling. From parts that I've genuinely praised to others that I've abhorred.

The main reason for the abhorred ones is that I think that I never connected with the more vaudevill-themed side of the film. Although I've enjoyed some of the songs ('Maybe this Time', 'Cabaret'), many others haven't had any kind of appeal for me.


"What good is sitting alone in your room? Come hear the music play. Life is a Cabaret, old chum, Come to the Cabaret"

Morover, the frantic life of Sally Bowles was a train moving too fast for me and her love story with Michael never gains enough strength. From their three way situation to the fact that Sally aborts even with the promise of a solid life with Michael because deep down she loves Cabaret life too much, they had an uneven relationship which never had a very promising future (to the date I still strongly believe that Michael was gay or at least bisexual).

Sally Bowles; difficult to love, impossible to hate

The other sider of the coin was represented by the Nazi subplot. I absolutely loved the love story between Fritz and Natalia, with his religion confession (knocking at her door and claiming 'I'm a Jew') as one of the most endearing and fragile moments of the film. Just beautiful. Add to this how that story was connected with a scary (yet implied) awareness of the country's situation (Jews being murdered or insulted, a party with Nazi supporters singing 'Tomorrow belongs to me' in choir, etc.) and the film is saved from failing, ending with a subtle yet terrifying picture of The Kit Kat club, which has now a mostly Nazi audience (when at the beginning of the film they were kicked out).

The film's major success is its subtle Nazi awareness and Fritz and Natalia's love complicated story

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

¡Recomienda este blog!